Consultations for Potential Clients
We are pleased to offer consultations to clients who are considering hiring us for midwifery care. At this time, there is no charge for this meeting. Please contact us by email if you would like to schedule a consultation, and include the following:
- Your name, age, and where you live
- Your pregnancy and health history (including how many pregnancies you have had and their outcomes, any acute or chronic health conditions you have, prior Cesareans, and any drugs or medicines you are taking)
- If you are pregnant, your estimated due date (if applicable), and how you calculated it (based on your last menstrual period, ovulation charting, suspected conception date, ultrasound, etc)
- Your reasons for desiring a homebirth, and your partner's feelings (if applicable)
- What days and times you are available for consultation
- A phone number where you may be reached, in case we are called to a birth the day of our scheduled meeting. If this occurs and we leave you a message, we do request that you call or email back to let us know that you have received our cancellation and so that we can reschedule as soon as possible.
The purpose of the consultation is to provide a face-to-face opportunity for a woman or couple to evaluate the potential connection between us and them, as well as answer any questions that may remain after reviewing our information packet (available by email) and the information provided on our website.
- While we can provide you with safety statistics regarding homebirth and midwifery care, as well as provide information on how things work in our practice, it is never our goal to "sell" homebirth or convince a client or her partner that homebirth is right for them. However, we are delighted to answer all of your questions to the best of our ability, and hope that this will increase your ability to decide for yourself where you feel most comfortable giving birth.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to contract for a homebirth for women who are current smokers or illegal drug users. If you would like to hire us for prenatal care while you take on the admirable and challenging task of smoking cessation, this may be a possibility, as may reconsidering homebirth once you are successful.
- If we are meeting at your house, we respectfully request that dogs be kenneled or in another space for the duration of the consultation.
- Children are welcome at our consultations, and our home office has a variety of simple toys and books available for their amusement. However, depending on the age of your children, you may want to consider having a babysitter, grandma, special video, etc at the consultation so that you are able to fully focus on having your questions answered.
- We believe that one of the most important aspects of a safe and satisfying homebirth midwifery relationship is a good match between family and care providers. We fully endorse the right of any party (you or us) to decide after the consultation that things may just not be a match. For this reason, we are unable to reserve a space on our due date calendar until you have solidified your intention by writing the check for your registration fee, and we have in turn notified you that you have been accepted into the practice.